Tuesday, February 21, 2012

My latest project


This is a book cover I recently designed for publishers, Hands-On Books. The book is an anthology of poetry by Capetonian Kelwyn Sole, and I have to admit it was fantastic to read an incredibly-talented poet while designing and laying out text.

I think I could design and layout books all day long if the writers are always this good.

The title of the anthology is "Absent Tongues", and I used a photograph I took two years ago of some barnacles I found at the beach.

The barnacles are simply lifeless shells. Their emptiness resonated with me and seemed to click with the book title.

Any further editing I did (I overlaid the photo with a watercolour texture which I set at a very low opacity) was to capture the tone and mood of the poetry.

No comments:

Post a Comment