Friday, January 20, 2012

Getting my Big Girl panties on.

I have come to the end of my first week at my first post-varsity internship. The lucky establishment (guffaw/ choke) has been Espresso dbn, a smallish (but superbly-cool) advertising agency that has stolen my week and, if I let go of my pride, my heart a little.

I have one more week here and although many of my (far-too-cool) peers and fellow designers refuse to intern/ work for no to little cash-dollars, I feel like I should be paying Espresso for all that I have learned in the space of five days.

As intern , I am (obviously) little more than pool scum here, but all the fab guys & gals here have been nothing but patient and eager to teach me their skills. SO friends, the moral of the story is to INTERN, INTERN and INTERN!!! The knowledge and experience you gain is irreplaceable and CANNOT be learned in varsity. '

Besides finally getting over my fear of phoning people, I have had to hustle a shitload of cash this week from sponsors, make an envelope, suck up to nearly every brand manager in South Africa, go to several model castings (DBN has a HOST of eye candy!), help oversee production, brainstorm ideas for product launches and pick out pretty faces from Z cards.

That being said, I am far more confident and prepared for the working world than I was a week ago. When, in all honesty, I was sitting in a dribbly pool of my own self-pity, wondering how I'd ever make it in this cruel, cold world.

So kids, a little advice from your Aunty Meg - get off your ASSES and go intern. It sucks, but it's kinda cool too.

P.S. I borrowed this sexy photography from iheartalice.
Go check out her blog.

Peace Bitches

No comments:

Post a Comment