Thursday, July 21, 2011

The Bed Book of Short Stories


I think it was last year... or maybe it was the year before. Year aside, a short story of mine was published in this anthology. In retrospect, the story is immature: I fell into the trap of writing characters around certain stereotypes that I had, until that point, unconsciously believed to be true. I failed to round the characters; looking back now, they seem quite... flat.

In all honesty, I have let three people read this story, and the reason is because I am embarrassed. I wish I had written something better, and I know that I can. I wrote this story in my first year, before I knew anything significant about literature or writing or even, anything truly worth knowing, about people.

Now I know (or now I believe) that a person's identity is not fixed. I even mentioned philosopher, Merleau-Ponty and Sartre in the beginning of the story, and yet completely failed to adopt my then-fledgling ideas about human beings.

I just wish I could write with a quieter, less assuming voice. I find that my tone is always so big - I sound like a pompous tit sometimes. Anyway, when the current bout of writer's block passes through my mind, I'll try again.

No comments:

Post a Comment